Seniors can be Exempt from Parcel Taxes or Postpone Property Taxes

Follow Marin Events

• HomeUp2020 HOUSING BILLSSB 592 Housing Accountability ActCA Housing Bills 2017CA's GAS TAX should be devoted to Cost Effectively reduce Traffic CongestionSeniors can be Exempt from Parcel Taxes or Postpone Property TaxesCA Constitutional Amendment 11Poll on growthSB743 VMT instead of LOSImmigration california 2000-2010Tech Expansion Overruns Cities in CACalifornia's High-Speed Rail LIES •
•  •

Seniors can be Exempt from Parcel Taxes or Postpone Property Taxes

Postpone Property Tax !

California's Property Tax Postponement (PTP) Program will allow seniors (62 and older) or disabled persons with an annual household income of less than $35,501 and have 40 percent equity in the home to apply for postponement of property taxes on their principal residence. Applications may be filed with the State Controller beginning October 1, 2016. Information and the application are posted on the State Controller's websiteFAQ

Taxes Postponed under PTP and interest become due and payable if the:

  • Property is no longer the claimant’s principal place of residence;
  • Claimant dies (and there is no approved surviving spouse);
  • Claimant sells, conveys, or otherwise transfers the property;
  • Claimant becomes delinquent on a senior lien;
  • Claimant refinances or obtains reverse mortgage;

The interest rate for all taxes postponed  is 7 percent per year.  For example, on a PTP postponement of $5,000 in taxes, the interest would be $350 per year.

If you apply to the PTP Program and are not approved, you could be subject to penalties and interest for the current year taxes.  Consult your county tax collector to determine your liability and best course of action.

Parcel Tax Exemptions

If you pay a parcel tax or special assessment, you may be eligible for an exemption. Parcel taxes are locally imposed special taxes approved by voters.
Most of your home's property tax bill is based upon its value, but parcel taxes are based on the characteristics of the parcel (e.g. the size of the home or lot).

To find out if you qualify for an exemption, call the local district or agency that imposed the parcel tax or special assessment listed on your annual property tax bill.

Note: An unofficial county-by-county list of some parcel taxes and exemptions is available on the California Tax Foundation website. or Marin   Marin County’s aging emergency communications system $29 per parcel for single-family residential parcels; $26.10 per unit for multi-family residential parcels; and if you're in a County SERVICE AREA (ex. Service Area 19 Paramedic Services $95)

City of San Rafael :-

  • special tax by - Community Facilities Loch Lomond $578 per parcel
  • paramedic services max. $108 per residential unit
  • Public Library $49

Moving Soon? Transfer Your Property's Taxable Value

If you are 55 years or older, selling your home, and buying another of equal or lesser value, you may be eligible to transfer the taxable value on the home you sell to your new home, avoiding higher property taxes. See Exclusions from Reappraisal for details.

a person who is over age 55 to sell his or her principal place of residence and transfer its base year value to a replacement dwelling of equal or lesser value that is purchased or newly constructed within two years of the sale.

Proposition 60 allows for the transfers of a base year value within the same county (intracounty).
Proposition 90 allows for the transfers of a base year value from one county to another county in California (intercounty) if the county has authorized such a transfer by an ordinance.

As of December 12, 2017, the following eleven counties in California have an ordinance enabling the intercounty base year value transfer:

San Bernardino
Los Angeles
San Diego
San Mateo
Santa Clara
El Dorado* recedes Nov 7 2018


If you sell or transfer property to your child or grandchild, he or she may be able to pay the property taxes currently being paid on the property, avoiding higher property taxes. Visit this webpage for more information.

Contact your local County Assessor to find out if you are eligible to transfer your property's taxable value.

Disabled Veteran? You May Qualify for a Property Tax Exemption

Depending upon income, 100% disabled veterans and their unmarried surviving spouses may qualify for a property tax exemption of $124,932 to $187,399 on their principal residence.

To learn more, visit our disabled veterans' exemption webpage.

To apply for the Disabled Veterans' Exemption, contact your County Assessor.

Help with Income and Sales Tax

Need Tax Help? Get Free Income Tax Assistance

The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program offers free income tax help for all taxpayers 60 years of age and older. The TCE program specializes in questions about pensions and retirement-related issues.

To locate the nearest TCE site, use the Internal Revenue Service's site locator tool or call 1-800-906-9887. The AARP Foundation's Tax Aide program also offers many TCE services. Their Tax Aide sites can be located online or by calling 1-888-227-7669.

Visit the IRS website for more information about TCE.

Filing Taxes? You May Qualify for Income Tax Credits

If you or your spouse are 65 years or older you may qualify for the Senior Income Tax Exemption Credit on your California income tax return. This year seniors will save between $109 (single) and $218 (married) when filing their 2015 California income tax returns.

You may also qualify for the Senior Head of Household Credit equal to 2 percent of your California taxable income, up to $1,317, if you:

  • Are 65 or older as of January 1, 2016, and
  • Earned $69,902 or less in 2015, and
  • Filed as head of household in either of the previous two years.

Note: California does not tax social security income, including survivor's benefits and disability benefits. Social security income may be partially taxable under federal law.

If you have questions about income taxes, contact the Franchise Tax Board.

Buying Meds? Your Prescriptions are Tax Free

If you purchase prescription medications or prescribed medical equipment like wheelchairs, eyeglasses, crutches, canes, and walkers, your purchases may not be subject to tax. Note: this tax exemption is for all Californians, not just seniors.

If you have been wrongly charged an amount as sales tax on your purchases, contact BOE office so we can help.

source California Gov (BOE)