Traffic Level of Service may
go DOWN from mid-D (35 – 45 seconds) to E (55 to
80 seconds) Irwin and Grand between
Second, Street and Mission Avenue, Andersen and West Francisco, Andersen and
Bellam, Freitas at Civic Center Dr./Redwood Highway, Merrydale at Civic Center
and Grand Avenue:
• LOS E
applies Downtown and east to Grand Avenue unless stated otherwise below.
• The Marin
County Congestion Management Plan shall determine the standard for Second and Third
• The intersection at Irwin and Mission is “grandfathered” at its
existing LOS F.
Citywide, other than Downtown and Grand Avenue:
• LOS D applies outside Downtown, unless
stated otherwise below.
• LOS E applies to the following intersections:
Andersen and West Francisco
♦ Bellam and Andersen
♦ The Freitas 101 Interchange, including Freitas at Civic
Center and Freitas at Redwood Highway
♦ Merrydale Overcrossing at Civic Center Drive and at Las
• Highway 101 and Interstate 580 onramps and offramps.
Exceptions to Traffic Level of Service Standards:
In order to maximize safety and multi-modal mobility, or to realize
desired land uses, the City Council may approve project-specific
LOS standards for intersections as follows.
|How long cars
wait at signalized intersections
||D >35-55 seconds
||E >55-80 seconds
|C >20-35 seconds
||F >80 seconds
Improvements: The City Council may approve improvements where an
LOS standard may be exceeded due to:
• Safety and design considerations, including bike and pedestrian
• Transit use or improvements.
New Development: The City Council may also
approve a project-specific exceed an LOS
standard through the Growth Allocation Program review process due to:
• Desired land uses that offer substantial public benefit as determined
by Council resolution.
• Mitigation that is financially infeasible.